Parts of the Monkey Trail are currently being thinned or clear felled by the Forestry Commission. Like most Forestry Commission sites around England and the UK, Cannock Chase is a working forest. More information on the Cannock Chase Forest Plan can be found on the Forestry Commission’s website here.
The current works taking place on the Monkey Trail area of Cannock Chase do affect the mountain bike trails and as such, there will be some closures and diversions in place over the coming months. Once work is completed, the trails will be reopened as soon as possible however please note that due to the difficult terrain, harvesting work can often damage the trails where machinery has had to cross them. As such, it may take some time to reopen a section while the damage is repaired. Work is due to take place into early 2019.
- What Goes Up, Snap It, and Upper Cliff: Some felling work is taking place along the bottom of the hillside. This work shouldn’t affect the trails however you may be asked to stop and wait for a short time if necessary by a banksman.
- Monkey’s Uncle: This section is closed while work is taking place. A diversion is in place from Five Ways down to the start of Insidious Incline (the Lower Cliff climb).
- Rainbow Valley, Deer Skull, Original Monkey (including Le Singe Noir), and The Gully: Work is due to take place on these sections once the current work on Monkey’s Uncle is finished. A diversion will be in place from the pumping station (near the A460 road crossing) up to Five Ways (where Monkey’s Uncle starts).
- Pot of Gold & Rollercoaster: Work is due to take place on these sections once the previous work on Rainbow Valley (etc) is completed. A diversion will be in place from the end of Tight Squeeze (and the start of Rainbow Valley) up to The Original Monkey.
- Deercote: Work is due to take place in three blocks here once the previous work on Pot of Gold & Rollercoaster is completed. This will not affect the official Monkey Trail route however it may affect the fire road climb – heavy machinery may be using the fire road, so please stop and wait if asked to do so by a banksman.
- Stile Cop Downhill Trails: Some thinning work is due to take place along the bottom of the hill once all of the above work on the Monkey Trail is completed. Some of the downhill trails including (but not limited to) Ridge Line, Little Bringe, Wonderland, Balboa, and New Line.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask – either send us an email or get in touch on Facebook or Twitter.