We’re holding a Big Build Day on 17th November 2019 and we need all the help we can get to get the job done quickly. Please come and help build a brand-new section on The Monkey Trail. The first new section for 3 years, this is your chance to help eliminate boring fire-road and add more single track. Your help is vital to making a difference.
- WHEN: Sunday 17th November 2019 at 11am. We’ll have a quick explanation of what’s going to happen and get stuck in. Overall, we expect to pack in no later than 3pm but you can leave whenever you like.
- WHERE: Between ‘Deer Skull’ and ‘The Original Monkey’ on The Monkey Trail.
- RSVP: We need to get an idea of numbers for catering. If you sign up you’re in line for free food, drink and particularly cake! Please fill out the form below.
- DIRECTIONS & PARKING: Driving and walking directions to get to the build site are below. If you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.
- CLOTHING & TOOLS: Wear outdoor clothes and footwear for off-road and probably muddy ground (it’s November after all). We have lots of tools but bring your favourite spade if you have one, just in case.
- WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU? Apart from cake; well there’s new single-track trail that wasn’t there before and most people are amazed by how much can get done and go home feeling they’ve had a good day out and put something back into the trails.
Directions and how to find the work site
DIRECTIONS FROM RUGELEY:
- Drive toward Hednesford on the A460/Hednesford Road. After passing signs to Slitting Mill look out for the ‘Cyclists Crossing’ sign.
- After a short distance you’ll see a large layby on your RIGHT – park here.
DIRECTIONS FROM CANNOCK/HEDNESFORD:
- Travel along the A460 toward Rugeley. As you leave Hednesford the speed limit increases to 60mph.
- Go past the ‘Cannock Chase Enterprise Centre’ (Walkers Rise, where Run & Ride is) on your left.
- Follow the road for 0.8 miles and you’ll see a large layby on your LEFT – park here.
(If you pass the ‘Cyclists Crossing’ sign, you have gone too far.)
DIRECTIONS FROM BIRCHES VALLEY:
- Exit Birches Valley Forest Centre using the main entrance and turn RIGHT.
- Turn RIGHT onto Penkridge Bank Road. Turn RIGHT onto Post Office Lane. Turn RIGHT onto Slitting Mill Road.
- Follow this under the railway bridge then turn RIGHT onto the A460/Hednesford Road.
- Look out for the ‘Cyclists Crossing’ sign – beyond this you will see a large layby on your RIGHT – park here.
WALKING DIRECTIONS ONCE PARKED:
- Once parked in the lay-by, follow the footpath in the direction of Rugeley (North) and look for ‘Chase Trails’ banners on the other side of the road at a fire road entrance.
- Cross the road (PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION, THIS IS A 60MPH ROAD AND IT IS VERY BUSY) and follow the ‘fire road’ up the hill.
- Walk up the fire road (passing Klondike Bridge on the right) until you arrive at the obvious meeting point.